Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 604 gasketing?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member mhardy6647's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Altec gurus:

    Please excuse my naivete. Thanks to an empathetic colleague, I've aquired a pair of Altec 604B's. One thing I notice about these behemoths is the lack of any gasket on the front side of the basket (mounting flange). The back side of the flange is festooned with little machine screws and thus hardly flat.

    Now, were these puppies typically mounted to the front or back of a baffle? Assuming the latter, was there an original gasket?

    Just trying to figure out what I am dealing with here. Thanks for your patient attention!

    all the best,
    mrh

  2. #2
    Inactive Member David Deratany's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The 604b's mount to the rear of the baffle, and there is meant to be a gasket that fits in the channel running around the front of the flange. The gasket on one of mine is dense felt. The gasket on the other is missing; I mounted that speaker without using anything, to no detriment that I can notice.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Wink

    All of the 604's made prior to the "G", as I recall, were rear mounted. When Bill Hayes, et al, changed to the larger, 16" mounting frame, they made it where they could mount the 604 either from the fron or the back.

    They are supposed to have cork gasketing, if memory serves...

    By the way - you REALLY ought to get the better crossover custom designed for the 604B that Jerry Hubbard designed...it would make them SO MUCH MORE listenable!

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Wink

    All of the 604's made prior to the "G", as I recall, were rear mounted. When Bill Hayes, et al, changed to the larger, 16" mounting frame, they made it where they could mount the 604 either from the fron or the back.

    They are supposed to have cork gasketing, if memory serves...

    By the way - you REALLY ought to get the better crossover custom designed for the 604B that Jerry Hubbard designed...it would make them SO MUCH MORE listenable!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member David Deratany's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Now that I think about it... cork... yes.

    Sadly, that crossover comes too late for me, for now. I biamped, and then moved on to 416s and 511/902s. I may put them back into service again someday, and it is good to know there are alternatives to biamping. Where can I learn more about that crossover?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member toneranger1's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Todd,

    Is the Jerry Hubbard xover for the 604B or the
    604B with the E cone? If it's for the original
    B cone, how can I get some?

    toneranger...

  7. #7
    Inactive Member David Deratany's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    And this of course begs the question, if it is for the original "B" cone, can it be modified for the "E" cone?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member mhardy6647's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the responses re: the gasket situation. I figured something was missing... guess I will have to cobble up a gasket.

    I must admit you've piqued my interest as to an appropriate XO for these, as I acquired them sans XO's.

    Thanks again!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.